Monday, September 26, 2005

Rita Final Chapter

After an hour or so of trying to get into the house through non-destructive means, I gave up and decided to break a window in the door. This, by the way, is not as easy as it looks on tv. I had to find a hammer to get the glass to give way. If you recall, I had left a flashlight outside before I left. It really came in handy. My neighborhood is really dark with no streetlights and no houses lit.

When I finally got inside, I was hot and sweaty. Inside the house was a very uncomfortable 95 degrees. I opened windows and doors but the air did not stir. Finally I set up a chaise lounge outside on the porch and tried to get some sleep.
I dozed off but woke up later from a spotlight shining on me. A police car on the street had stopped and was lighting me. I waved to them and they slowly drove away, scanning the light along the way. Thanks for the wake up, jerks. I slept some more.

I was disturbed again from a man and woman in a very loud argument nearby. I learned that she didn't have to flirt with every guy in the place... he should have paid a little more attention to her...he could get a better job. For some reason I thought of A Streetcar Named Desire. Sad folks in New Orleans. At least I have a house to return home to.
I noticed that I was soaking wet. The dew had settled on everything. My clothes, my pillow and my uncomfortable bed were drenched. I decided to move inside. It was still 90 degrees inside. I laid on my bed but did not sleep much. When the sun came up it felt like it was beginning to cool off.

This morning I went out for air conditioning and my power came on around noon. There was a Houston Chronicle in my driveway when I went out this morning. The garbage truck drove by on its regular route a few minutes ago. I now have electricity. All is well.

1 Comments:

At 9/26/2005 02:19:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least there wasn't a lack of police presence.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home