Saturday, September 24, 2005

Houston After Rita

Hopefully this will be my last post from Houston. I would like to be back home tomorrow. Many people are ignoring the mayor's plea to stay away from Houston. I guess people's desire to return home is greater than their sense of civic duty.

We went out around town. In many places it is almost life back to normal. Many restaurants are open. Most stores are not open but some grocery stores and, of course, our local Walgreens are open.
In the Montrose area it looks like nothing happened. Montrose is residential urban so alot of people walk around. Unlike other parts of town where a car is required.

One big difference from normalcy is the gas stations. The infrequent open gas station has a line of cars for blocks with a half dozen police oficers to maintain order. At one station we saw also paramedics and what looked like arrests being made. I guess there are a few frayed nerves.

We went downtown and walked around. Downtown is still totally deserted. There are some clubs and restaurants there now but they were all boarded up. Some of the streets were blocked by police because of falling glass. Some windows popped out of a few skyscrapers during the storm. Just a few holes here and there on the buildings though, nothing very dramatic.

I will post more pictures when I get back to my own computer.
I plan to leave early for home tomorrow. I am sure that there is going to be alot of traffic.

2 Comments:

At 9/25/2005 02:32:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How much are they charging for gas when its available? Out here in the SF Bay area we're paying about $2.90 - $3.10 / gallon for regular which I think is less than most of the country for a change.

 
At 9/26/2005 01:51:00 PM, Blogger Prospector said...

Gas here is still around $2.69 - $2.79 per gallon.

I think people would get very angry if they started raising the prices while people are waiting in line.
I heard that schools were closing in Atlanta to save fuel. Is anybody else seeing any shortages?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home