Saturday, September 24, 2005

One more day in refuge

Seems like the power is still off at my house so I am staying here for one more night. 3PM was my cutoff time for deciding so I din't end up there in the dark. I will go back home early tomorrow morning.
Hopefully traffic won't be a problem for me. They are turning away people trying to get to Galveston Island. That has caused a traffic jam for miles but it has not quite gotten as far as my exit. I won't take the interstate anyway.

Despite requests from the governor and mayor of Houston to please do not come back to the city, there is a wave of cars headed this way. I just saw on the news that there is a traffic jam about 70 miles west of here headed this way. There is practically no gas anywhere along the route or here in Houston so, in my opinion, it serves the idiots right when they run out of gas on the highway.

There was a Sam's gas station that got a delivery here. Immediately there were long lines. People were indignant that you couldn't get gas unless you had a Sam's card.
A news person tried to find a Sam's employee to explain why they are so cruel in face of this crisis. Well, it turns out that there were no Sam's employees. The station is completely automated - you need a Sams card and credit card to operate the pump.
I picture someone trying to argue with the gas pump to convince it to give up some gas even though they don't have a card. I'm sure the pump would be rudely uncompromising.

The sun is out here now. The temperature is in the 80's. People are out looking for something to do, like wait in line for gas.

3 Comments:

At 9/24/2005 01:22:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard the gas pumps were only giving gas to white people. Is that true?

Just kidding. Not funny I guess.

 
At 9/24/2005 01:29:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you made it. Did you see that video of the fire in Galveston? Seeing the wind blowing the fire like a bellows its a wonder the whole city didn't burn down. Do you know which buildings burnt?

 
At 9/24/2005 01:35:00 PM, Blogger Prospector said...

The buildings that burnt down in Galveston were a few blocks east of the Strand. Nondescript - one was a bail bond.
However, a whole wall fell off og Yaga's restaurant. The wall was facing the park on the Strand with the giant chessboard. It bricks fell across the chessboard.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home